Howard University- Loans, Financial Aid, and some Misc. info

5 07 2008

Congratulations to all of the individuals who received a scholarship but everybody knows that those usually come a dime a dozen at HU. Loans, outside scholarships, and personal finances are how most people go.

Outside Scholarships:

If the check is handed to you before you get to school but made out to Howard University. You have to turn it into Howard. I know it seems like common sense but sometimes common sense isn’t so common. When you arrive on campus, all of financial aid will be located in the upper ballroom of the Blackburn Building. It is located across the yard from Douglass Hall and next to Locke Hall. Walk in and walk up the stairs. Make sure you have some form of identification and MEMORIZE your Howard identification number with the @ symbol in front. If you have forgotten it, it is on your acceptance letter. 

If they are sending directly to the school, make sure that they have the right address! Howard will notify you via BisonWeb when the payment has been received.

If they require you to submit enrollment verification, please click here. 

Personal Finances:  

Again, you can also pay when you arrive at school in the Blackburn Ballroom. No checks accepted but the best bet is to pay by credit/debit card or a money order. However, anytime you are doing a money order, please make sure that you make it out to the correct party. Call prior to doing so to make sure. Also you can refer to one of my older post if you want to pay by credit/debit card via online. You will get used to stuff not working so always have a backup plan. If the credit card link on BisonWeb does not work, you may use the credit card authorization form; I have also provided that link in an earlier post. 


**** Please keep in mind to always have identification and your Howard ID number when dealing with administration. It helps facilitate the process so you can get in and get out! When you receive a receipt, make sure that you make a copy of it and keep one copy with you in your binder that I mentioned in a previous post and one copy for your parents. Again, (because I know people will take this as a joke) make copies of EVERYTHING. One for you and one for your binder. 

What you need to make sure you have with you when you arrive for the fall :

  • Your acceptance Letter (Hell, I brought the whole acceptance packet)
  • Copies of your medical forms
  • Social Security Card- Do not keep this in your wallet at all times, Use it and then put it somewhere secure when you are done. 
  • Any email correspondence
  • Identification with a picture
  • Any pertinent receipts
  • Copy of your Student Aid Report (from your FAFSA
  • Copy of your SAT, ACT, SAT II, AP, etc test scores
  • Transcripts
  • Make sure your parents have their info too

** Yall aren’t little kids anymore and your parents shouldn’t have to be responsible for all your paperwork. It may seem like overkill to bring all of this with you, but it will only make it easier on you in case something is lost or there is a discrepancy. If you are on top of your stuff, you can easily check someone who isn’t on theirs. Check (verb)-  African American vernacular meaning to induce responsibility on a party that otherwise should be doing their vocation/duty but hasn’t and then must be subject to either humiliation or extreme grief for their actions. A.K.A -Getting in that ass.


It was always funny to me that your “personalized” financial aid package always seemed to look like everybody else. A 20,000 parent loan and a 3,500 student loan with some having a work study. 

You should have already filled out your FAFSA and received your Financial Aid package via Bison Web. If your aid package is not viewable: you may have been chosen for financial verification, there was a glitch in the system, or something was missing from your paperwork. If you have “unsatisfied requirements”, you may view this on Bison Web to rectify the situation. If there is nothing wrong but you still can’t find your package, contact the Financial Aid office as soon as possible. 

Financial Verification is a random selection program that by the Federal government to make sure that you are providing accurate information on your FAFSA. In most cases you will need to either fill out a Dependent Verification form (if you are a dependent under your parents/guardian) or the Independent Verification form as well as submitting a signed tax return for the past aid year (2007) for your parents and either a signed W2 or signed tax return for yourself if you worked. If you did NOT file taxes, you will need to submit a signed copy of your W2 if you worked the past year. If you are an independent, your 2007 signed tax return will probably be all that is requested. Most people will say this is a bad thing or start inciting fear in your heart but just turn in the information and you will get your Aid package. No biggie! Just don’t lie on the forms. (MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SUBMIT) You will NOT receive your Aid package until all information has been received. 

Federal Loans :

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan (no interest while in school and before the grace period)
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan (has interest)
  • Federal Direct PLUS (for Parents)

Both Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans have a 8.25% interest rate. The PLUS loan has a 9.00% interest rate.

You MUST complete the interest interview via ONLINE here. It is required for all first time borrowers and new students. Do not worry about the exit interview until you have either: 5 credits or under (less than half time status), withdrawing from Howard, transferring from Howard, or have graduated.

You MUST also complete the MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE HERE. You need to use the PIN number from your FAFSA to electronically sign the document. 

Check Bisonweb to make sure that all of your requirements have been satisfied. Once this has happened, the school will disburse your award usually after you have been in school for 30 days. Once disbursed you may view your bill online to see if you are eligible for a refund. 

If you are getting a refund, you may either stand in the Financial Aid office for HOURS to pick up your check or fill out the direct deposit form here

Most people don’t know that they do not have to accept everything offered in their Financial Aid package or the full amount offered. Take some or leave it all. You have the ability to adapt a financial aid package that works best for you.  To adjust any part of the Financial Aid award fill out the Request for Financial Aid Award Adjustment form. 

You must decline what you do not want! It is easy to say, well I just won’t satisfy the requirements needed for that part of the award but always handle it the right way by filling out the Award Declination Form.

What if something happened since I filled out my FAFSA like a parent dying, loss of job, etc. I got you covered yet again my future Bisons. You have the right to report any changes in your income to the school. Fill out the Special Circumstances Appeal if something have changed in your life since you filled out the FAFSA. 

Must have links:

Financial Aid Award Package Policy

Information on Work Programs

Information on Campus Based Loans

Information on Grants, Scholarships, and Fellowships

Federal Direct Loans Information

Accepting your Aid Package

Receiving your Aid Package

Maintaining your Eligibility

Award Acceptance Conditions aka the Fine Print (keep a copy for your records)

Student Financials A-Z : Guide on Everything Howard Financial


Students Financial Services

Tel. 202-806-2600/2610

Fax. 202-806-5182

Student Financial Services encompasses the Office of Student Accounts, Student Loans, Direct Loans and the Collection Department. We are located in:

The Mordecai Wyatt Johnson Building
2400 Sixth Street, NW
Suites 115 and 218
Washington, DC 20059

Office Hours:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
8:30 am – 3:00 pm

8:30am – 5:00 pm

Summer Hours:

Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 3:00 pm

Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid, Scholarships and Student Employment is located in the Johnson Administration building (Main Campus), Room 205.

Hours of operation:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday: 8:30 am until 3:00 pm
Wednesday:, Open until 5:00 pm.

Summer hours of operation:
Monday through Friday: 8:30 am until 3:00 pm
No extended hours on Wednesday

We invite you to visit to have your financial aid questions answered, your forms reviewed for accuracy, and to pick up any additional forms or application materials you need. Financial Aid Representatives are available Monday through Friday on a walk-in basis and by appointment.

You may visit, call or write for more financial aid information:

Financial aid information ……………………….202-806-2820
Fax ………………………………………………….202-806-2818

Send correspondence to:
The Office of Financial Aid, Scholarships
and Student Employment
2400 Sixth Street N.W.
Room 205
Washington, DC 20059

e-mail: finaid@howard.eduStudent Records

Enrollment Management
2400 Sixth Street, NW, Suite 105 
Washington, DC 20059

Phone: (202) 806-2700
  (202) 806-6226 FAX







Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: